Collection 9: Relating
SoundofManyWaters Collection 9: Relating
Furies and Gorgons, Bone of my Bone, Semaphore, Bearing the Image, Indigo
Furies and Gorgons
Blusterless Agamemnon
The wind gone from your sails
Buy a fair breeze
With your daughter’s blood
And get a hurricane
With talons in it.
Medusa rises from the abyss
With serpents rising from her hair
Each slithering shape gazing
With the face of the oppressed:
Despised daughters, belittled
Sisters, grieving mothers,
Abandoned widows and
Rejected lovers.
Quick, Perseus!
Raise your mirror
before their stares
Strike home into
your stony heart.
Semaphore
Somewhere we lost the knowing of each other
We made an image, stuck it on a shelf.
Now you are left so many lies to smother
And I must labour on to lose myself.
Now mountains rise between us, gaunt and high
And no-one knows what we are waiting for.
Who will be first to scale them, you or I,
And signal in a frantic semaphore?
Bone of my bone
In a velvet
purse
I keep blood and
treasure,
destiny and
source –
fear my hips'
swagger!
You are the pen
that skids
lightly on the
paper.
I am the book
that holds
the word for
ever.
I am you and not
you
both kin and
stranger
like lover and
like foe
I demand
surrender.
Bearing
the image
Still
without memory, still unaware
Of
any possibility of future, there
Sprawls
Adam in his golden thoughtlessness
Upon
the green of Eden, where he is
Contemplated.
While he continues whole
Completeness
only incompletes his role.
The
cut is deep. A trail of scarlet blood
Leads
to where Eve too slumbers upon sward.
Adam’s
wound will close, hers will remain.
New
life is only birthed in blood and pain.
She
dreams of a thorned and weaponed future where
A
cross awaits the offspring she will bear
And
now the image opens in her eyes
Of
Love most fully given when it dies.
Indigo
I am not sure if I have ever seen you,
Indigo.
Perhaps my heart leaped up and I
Overlooked
Your shyest of tinges, by brighter shades
Shaded.
Maybe the rain rinsed you until you
Faded
Into neighbouring violet or blue, or
Evaporated
By the sun, who likes red and gold best, you
Withdrew
From the bolder six, or maybe you
Never
Existed except in the thoughts of some
Dim
Numerological completist, who
Wanted
Your name to score a perfect seven?
Hope
Not, but I would like to know
More people tinged with
Indigo.
Comments
Post a Comment