New Song

 

The growl begins in the gut

Pain and resentment fuel it

Until fermented it chokes and burps

Its way up. In the chest

It sobs and sighs as sorrow

Adds her keening to the noise.

Somehow dodging the Censor

Who knows it must never

Ever be allowed to emerge

It grabs hold of the throat

And howls itself at the night…

 

Where it is heard by the True Human

As he weeps over his city

And rages at hardened hearts

And arms himself for battle with the dark…

 

Man of sorrows, break my heart

For what breaks yours,

Let your passionate wrath be born

Amid my petulant rumblings,

Let my feeble tears mingle

with yours that I may learn

a love more deep and fierce

than I can yet desire.

 

Then my song will seek the sun

Grow wings and fly, scattering

Notes that sparkle in your light

And shower down upon a thirsty land.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog